The Foundation to Abolish Child Sex Abuse
HARRISBURG, March 2, 2015 — A bipartisan group of lawmakers held a Capitol news conference today to highlight the drastic need for reform of Pennsylvania's archaic laws affecting victims of child sexual abuse.
State Reps. Mark Rozzi (D-Berks), Louise Bishop (D-Phila.), Tom Murt (R-Montgomery/Phila.) and Sen. Rob Teplitz (D-Dauphin/Perry), as well prominent reform advocates, discussed their respective bills, which are largely modeled after previously introduced legislation that would modify the statute of limitations to allow victims to seek civil action against perpetrators.
Rozzi's House Bill 661 and Teplitz's Senate Bill 582 would raise the age from 30 to 50 years for an adult victim of child sex abuse to file a civil claim, consistent with criminal statute. Previously time-barred victims would be permitted to bring suit.
"For victims of child sexual abuse, the pain and suffering never go away. The perpetrator suffers no consequences. Because of time limits imposed on victims, the perpetrator is free to keep stalking, grooming and destroying more children's lives. As legislators, we have an obligation to institute laws that safeguard our citizens; especially those who cannot protect themselves, our children," Rozzi said. "I am grateful to my colleagues and those who made it a priority to stand in support of these important legislative initiatives. We will continue to fight for their right to justice. Pedophiles don't retire and our law should not protect their heinous acts."
"We wanted to put out strong legislation that would protect victims while ensuring that it was meaningful and passable. Our bills represent a fair compromise that we believe will still close loopholes and help victims seek justice," Teplitz said. "I want to thank Representative Rozzi for taking the lead on this legislation, and for his determination and advocacy on behalf of victims of this horrific crime."Read more...
Wednesday, March 16, 2011
by Brad Rickerby
The first question, naturally, is what shall I call him? If this blog is about not being silent any longer, than it seems natural that I should just use his name. After all that he did to me it seems fair that I should give him credit. Too, I think there would be a certain stigma attached to his name that would only be just. It would be cathartic for me as well. I would no longer be afraid just at the thought of his name. There it is. In black and white. For all the world to see. Your biggest secret is out.
But I am not that brave yet. He still has power over me. He will, of course, deny everything. Which would make me question my newly found strength. Of course he did it, right? Words are failing me. My mind wanders, does not wish to deal with what I'm writing about. It is only natural. Defense mechanisms of 35 years are hard to over come.
There are also legal considerations. The is no way to prove what he did, not after 35 years. If I name him, he could easily sue me and win (not that I have that much he could take). When I first started having flashbacks ten years ago I found that the statute of limitations had run out on his crimes. The State, the legal system, protects him now as my silence did before. If he sues, the State will not only protect him but reward him. It is an insane system.
As to the naming question, I could just call him Dick, or Shorty (sadly not true). But I think instead I will adopt the convention of just using his first initial. That way, should he ever come across this blog, he will know that I am taking about him and he can worry that some day I will write out his name. For now then, he is simply W***.
I hope some day to have the courage to spell out his name.
From the blog "I am a Survivor"
I am a survivor of childhood sexual abuse, rape, beatings and torture. From the age of six to 15 I survived a nightmares. I intend here to recapture what was taken from me and try to help other survivors along the way.
By Seth Meyers, Ph.D.
BY JUDY L. THOMAS, The Kansas City Star
Kanakuk Kamps, a Branson-based Christian sports camp network that draws thousands of youths every summer — many from the Kansas City area — is facing two lawsuits alleging sexual abuse by a former director.
One lawsuit, filed in Taney County, alleges former director Peter D. Newman molested a teen from 2000 to 2005, beginning when the boy was 13. The second case, filed in federal court in Dallas, alleges Newman sexually abused a camper from 2001 through 2007, beginning when the boy was 10. Two similar lawsuits, both filed in 2011, were settled this year.
Newman is serving a lengthy prison sentence for sexually abusing numerous boys during the decade that he held a supervisory position at the camp.
The lawsuits allege camp officials knew about the man's troubling behavior, including swimming and riding four-wheelers in the nude with campers, but failed to remove him or keep him away from children.Read more...
Page 1 of 231
Check Out These Sites!
Find information related to PA and nationwide legislative efforts to abolish the statutes of limitation on child sex abuse